Monday, July 29, 2013

Stinky Ferret Love

Since I was about six years old, I've wanted a ferret. Three or so Summers ago, I went ahead and got one. Phoebe. She is my pride and joy. Coworkers talk about their kids, I talk about my ferret. I used to make fun of people who called their pets their "fur-kids", but now that I have been a ferret-mom I totally get it.
I won't sugar coat it; she is a lot of work. As many may know, ferrets are stereotypically stinky. This is because they are of the mustellid family (weasels, otters, skunks, etc.). Mustellids all have an oder gland as a natural defence. Domestic ferrets can generally be "de-scented", but they are biologically built to stink. There's a lot one can do to keep their ferret smelling fresh, however. The easiest, most effective solution is to switch their diet to chicken based kitten chow; just be sure to compare the nutrition facts:
Protein*: at least 40%
Fat: 20% (no more than 30%)
Fiber: less than 3%
*Ferrets are STRICT carnivores; make sure that this is animal-based protein!
Anyway, switching to chicken-based food is an effective oder fighter because most ferret chow is fish based. As you might guess, fish is pretty stinky and can promote an unpleasant smell.
There are also pleanty of vitamin drops, treats, and even ferret-specific sprays that you can use regularly on the animal, cage, and toys/bed. I also try to clean Phoebe's litter pan regularly. Always always always litter train a ferret! I bathe her about every three weeks, since bathing a ferret too much can cause hair loss. There are ferret shampoos, but I just use baby shampoo. Some ferrets love baths; Phoebe does not, but she is okay with a shower.
This will very likely not be my last post dedicated to my little ferret, but I hope that this has been an educational experience.

 
Phoebe Haiku 
 
Warm and wiggley,
tiny hunter sleeps all day.
Affectionate beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment