Thursday, August 8, 2013

Red Birds

My Grandma Gardner and I had an inside joke about cardinals. She remembered this, even after several strokes. She could no longer recognize who I was, but the link between me and cardinals remained. The last time that I saw her before her departure of this world, she looked at me and said "you like red birds, don't you?"
I often visit my Grandma Gardner in dreams. It wasn't until recently that I realized she has been visiting me here for some time. I was thinking about totem animals (as I often do) while driving in my van, going about 10 mph over the speed limit. Suddenly, a cardinal flew into the road in front of me, and I slowed down for fear of hitting it. It was nothing unusual - cardinals always fly out in front of my van. Then, it dawned on me. Cardinals always fly out in front of my van specifically when I'm driving way to fast.
Sorry, Grandma G; I didn't mean to make you worry. I'll stop speeding.


Red Bird Haiku  

 Wings like candied fruit
guide me safely down the road.
Singing songs of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment