Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Dark Moon

A lot of people refer to the Dark Moon as the New Moon. This is a common misconception - how can something be new if it has not yet begun? I don't go around correcting people, but I do my best to refer to it correctly and to be ready with an explanation for those who ask. When the Moon is cloaked, this is the Dark Moon. The first Waxing Crescent after the Dark Moon is the New Moon. I suppose it doesn't really make a difference - these are only Human titles - but for my purposes, I wanted to explain what I meant when referring to the Dark moon.
I love the energy of the Dark Moon. I was told years ago that the Dark Moon is not time for Magik. I now do not necessarily believe this to be true. I use it as a time of preparation and recovery of energy. I also use it as a time of study and appreciation. The Dark Moon is my time to refresh and rejuvenate all aspects of my being and spirit.
It is associated with the Crone who, in turn, is associated with wisdom. It is not a time to be afraid, but a time to put faith in the Moon's power and trust that it still shines on us though we can't see it. It is when what is done can be ended, and what has yet to be can begin.


Dark Moon Haiku  

    Pearl-studded blue gown,
made even more radient
by the Moon's non-light.

No comments:

Post a Comment