Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Going Batty

I know the title might seem like I'm going to moan about my stress levels, but no; I mean literal bats. I love 'em!
That's right, I love bats. I think they're cute, they're helpful, and we need to appreciate them more. And I'd like to point out right up front that only about 10% of reported rabies cases in the United States are caused by bats. Raccoons are the more likely culprit, if you were wondering.
Also, bats are not rodents. Just so you know, bats are not rodents. Did you know that bats are not rodents? Hope you get my point - my point is that bats are not rodents.
If you've got a bat house around your home, chances are you don't have a lot of mosquitoes around your home. Ah-ha! A direct, relevant example of why bats are awesome! Bats eat all those little bugs that bite, swarm, and get in ones face. Thank you, bats, for making my backyard significantly less annoying.
Another fact - though not so relevant in the United States - is that their scat is really useful for pottery and building. In the U.S., however, it is home to a fungus that is killing them.
If you remove one element from an ecosystem, the entire system fails. You may not like bats as much as I do, but at least respect them as an important part of nature.


Haiku for Bats  

 Flutter in the dusk;
tell me, friend, what I don't know.
Your sight is stronger.

1 comment: