Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Horror Project

The Writer's Guild I attend uses topics to stimulate the creative flow. This weeks topic was horror, which I was fairly excited about. I love horror movies, but being that I am highly sensitive and unable to watch overly violent images, I much prefer the psychological aspect to horror. Ghosts, possessions, and monsters are more my speed than the gore and torture that seems to populate the movie screens these days.
I wanted to write something that was along the lines of the classic, macabre fairy tales of yore, but I also was aware that I needed it to be shocking to be affective. Also, since I write in Haiku, I only had 17 syllables to paint this picture. I chose to compose a Choka to give myself a little more room to horrify *insert evil laughter*.


Little Red


Hidden in the dark
keep your eyes shut good and tight,
for the time has come.

Past sins and virtues
matter not to hunger’s choice,
as long as it’s red.

Clouds rumbling in;
heart and soul turn into rock,
flesh and bone aside.

Listen to the sound,
the greedy gulps of feasting
grinding in my ears.

No heart left to beat;
if I scream will it all stop?
The air reeks of blood.

What can keep me safe?
The anticipation aches.
Silence is the worst.


No comments:

Post a Comment