Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Active Peace (in the OutDoors)

If there's one thing I've learned, it is that Peace is not natural. Chaos is natural; Peace is about accepting the Chaos and being/molding yourself to conform to your personal Chaos. This doesn't make much sense, but that's because the Peace I'm discussing is an ideal not to be defined by words.
In the essence of time and being not confusing, I'll simply describe it a Tao. Those of you familiar with Zen practices should recognize this term; Tao is to be obtained, but not necessarily understood (kinda, sorta).
To apply this ideal to Nature - which I do - some deep re-understanding is required. First, we all need to remember that we're animals. Humans are just big-brained animals. We NEED to be outside. Don't get me wrong, I like to watch movies and play video games as much as the next person, but not being outside is detrimental to humans.
There's a term: Nature Deficit Disorder. A lot of people think it's bull, but it suggest that behavioral and cognitive problems in youths can be linked to the amount of time spent indoors vs. outdoors. Based on my own experiences as a person with severe ADD and manic depression, I know that at least and hour of outdoor time is more important to my stability than my cup of morning coffee. But you can read more on that by yourselves. Anything by Richard Louv (the man who coined the phrase), especially his book "Last Child in the Woods", or my personal favorite (especially for getting in touch with the Tao of Nature) "Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature". I'd force the latter upon camp counselors - there's a whole section of nature connection games at the end that are stupendously fun!
http://www.plt.org/why-environmental-education-is-important

 
Natural Student
 
Lessons never taught
are always the ones best learned.
Listen to what's there.



No comments:

Post a Comment