Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Closer to Halloween

Black Shuck Tanka 
 
Breath hanging like mist,
unseen through the thick of night -
a silent harbinger.
Fearsome and unmistaken;
inevitable specter.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
To avoid any conflict, I refer to the End of Fall as Halloween - it's just easier. And as Halloween draws ever closer, I find myself drawn to reading about those beings that traverse the Veil regularly. One of my favorite of such beasts is Black Dogs. There is one Black Dog phenomenon in the British Isles that has been named "Black Shuck".
Black Dogs are omens of ill fortune - specifically death. Some legends specify that the number of barks heard from this behemoth specify the fate of the hearer, but in general seeing a Black Dog phantom is considered bad. 
They are commonly massive, reported to be the size of small cows covered in shaggy, black fur (duh). They have glowing eyes the size of saucers, and paws as big as plates. I don't feel the need to mention the teeth and claws that come along with this animal. Even if death weren't the message being brought, I would not feel lucky to meet this fellow on the moores at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment